Donkey Derby held in aid of Cansa

2016-06-09 06:00
PHOTO:  Lee Worlehrley and Kim Stonebridge in Eastern attire.

PHOTO: Lee Worlehrley and Kim Stonebridge in Eastern attire.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

MARGATE Masonic Lodge held its 17th Donkey Derby in aid of Cansa South Coast recently at the Bethanien Lutheran Church in Izotsha.

The theme was Far East and many dressed in Eastern attire for the event.

Cansa volunteer Diane Saunders and Graham Hack of Margate Masonic Lodge said 130 tickets were sold, making it a successful fund-raiser.

Saunders said this year’s event attracted 80 sponsors and thanked them for their support.

“This year’s event was a huge success with a lot of sponsors who made it possible. Sponsors donated over 300 vouchers,” she said.

Saunders explained how the derby works and how the pay-out works.

“At the beginning of each race, a donkey is auctioned with ownership of the donkey going to the highest bidder. The tote is opened and bets are placed on the colour of the donkey that one thinks will win.

“Once all the bets are placed the tote is closed and the jockeys line up in their respective lanes. The race is run using two dices - one with colours and the other with numbers - the jockeys then move when their colour is chosen and take steps according to the number thrown on the dice,” she said.

The winner of the first race was Paparazzi­ (green), who won R1 050.

Saunders said with the pay outs 65% of the total auction income went to the owner of the donkey and the remaining 35% of the auction and bet income is tallied and goes to Cansa.

Waitresses and waiters at the event were volunteers, and included Creston­ College pupils, who did their community service hours.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.