Ndwedwe school’s class of 2014 goes to court for results

2017-09-20 06:02

THE 2014 matric class of an Ndwedwe high school, who were accused of cheating in their exams, have still not received their results despite a court ruling ordering that they receive them.

They are now seeking an order that the national and provincial education ministers be jailed for contempt of court.

The application, which came before Durban High Court Judge Rashid Vahed on Tuesday, September 5, was adjourned until this week.

The minister and the MEC were ordered to pay the wasted costs of the adjournment.

The pupils from Ndwedwe first went to court in 2015, seeking the release of their results so they could “get on with their lives”.

In his affidavit before the court, pupil Thabo Mokoena denied any cheating and said all the exams were conducted under the strict supervision of a full-time monitor sent by the education department and a chief invigilator, assisted by eight others.

He said when the matric results were released on January 6 this year, the names of 59 candidates from the school, including himself, were listed in the newspaper as having passed.

But when he went to school to get his results, the principal said that their results had been “blocked” because of irregularities.

He said hearings for candidates accused of “copying” were set down for January 20 and 22, 2017.

They were told the subjects in question were maths, English, life science and physical science, and the candidates were interrogated.

The outcome of the investigation was supposed to be released early that year.

In Mokoena’s latest affidavit, which came before Judge Vahed, Mokoena, to date the results have not been released.

He said an order had been taken in October last year, in terms of which disciplinary hearings were to be held before the end of December.

A statement of results was to be given to the school’s principal by November 2016 to be passed on to quality council Umalusi to assess them and decide whether or not to issue certificates.

In spite of the order being taken by consent and in the presence of legal representatives of all parties, there had been no compliance.

Mokoena said it was only in February this year that the Department of Education requested dates on which the hearings could be held.

His attorney had written back saying that in terms of the order it was “too late”.

“We had suffered too much and we were not willing to waive our rights to indulge them whatsoever. He also demanded the statement of results,” he said.

But there was no response to this at all.

The next day an official arrived at the attorney’s office with a bundle of “notice hearings”, which the attorney refused to accept.

In March, the attorney received another bundle - this time it was a statement of results of 178 people.

It did not contain a full list of the applicants.

In one instance, an applicant’s name was repeated twice with the wrong examination number, and 41 of the names reflected were not applicants involved in the matter.

There was more correspondence over the ensuing months, but there was still no compliance with the order.

Mokoena said the minister and the MEC were acting in bad faith.

“We have not been able to find jobs of any meaningful nature and we have not been able to enrol at any higher educational institution because of this,” he said.

He said the minister and the MEC should be found to be in contempt of court and sent to jail for 30 days.

Alternatively, the sentence could be suspended on condition that they comply immediately with the order.

- News24

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Sport
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.