13-year wait for R52.8m land claim
Durban - Residents of Nkunzi in Umzinyathi will receive R52 791 900 for land claims made 13 years ago, the KwaZulu-Natal land affairs department said on Thursday.
“There were two claims that were lodged. The first claim was lodged by a lady called Duduzile Mngomezulu in 1998 claiming for her family. The second claim was lodged by Happy Zwane in the same year... for the whole community,” spokesperson Nokuthokoza Ndlela said.
The Nkunzi claim affected approximately 1 088 households, which amounted to 6 588 beneficiaries.
“Each household... will receive an amount of money from the claim.”
Following a claim the department went to the area to investigate.
“A verification list is made and verbal research is done. Then there is a committee chosen by the community which plays a huge role in assisting the department for the claims.”
Ndlela said people couldn't be helped after a claim had been lodged and beneficiaries paid out.
“In such a case it is unfortunate that we are unable to help the people...”
On Friday acting chief land claims commissioner Sibusiso Gamede and KwaZulu-Natal agriculture and rural development MEC Lydia Johnson would hand vouchers to the claimants.
The event was scheduled to take place at the Sondoda sports ground in the Ndaka local municipality.