2 rangers bitten in a month
Johannesburg - Two rangers at the Mabula Game Lodge in Mpumalanga have been bitten by snakes in the past month, the Beeld reported on Friday.
Stefan Gouws, 22, was bitten by a puff adder on Tuesday, shortly after performing a snake show for tourists at the lodge between Bela Bela and Thabazimbi, according to the report.
He tripped and used his hands to break his fall. His hand landed next to the puff adder, which bit his right thumb.
Gouws was rushed to St Vincent's Hospital in Bela Bela, where he was stabilised. He was then transferred to the MediClinic Heart Hospital in Pretoria to receive anti-venom.
The newspaper said he was in a serious, but stable condition.
Three weeks ago, game ranger Karin van Rooyen was bitten on the right calf by a snouted cobra she was handling at the lodge.
She ended up in the intensive care unit at the same hospital as Gouws.