230 initiate deaths in 4 years in E Cape
Johannesburg - In the last four years 230 initiates have died following botched circumcisions in the Eastern Cape, City Press reported on Sunday.
In addition, 150 young men had to have their penises amputated due to complications following the procedure, the paper reported, citing research by the Eastern Cape health department.
The provincial department of traditional affairs would present a policy for the national regulation of circumcision in initiation ceremonies in September.
Proposals to improve the situation included mobile clinics to specialise in circumcision-related health care in a culturally sensitive manner and police operations to identify illegal initiation schools.
Traditional affairs department said earlier in the month that there had been fewer initiation-related deaths this year than last year.
This was attributed to the work of the task team, proper co-ordination of district structures such as traditional circumcision forums, relevant government departments and civil society, department spokesperson Mvusiwekhaya Sicwetsha said.