News24

26 homeless after shacks burn down

2012-06-09 22:20

Johannesburg - Twenty six people were left homeless in the freezing cold in Alexandra, north of Johannesburg when their shacks burnt down on Saturday, Johannesburg emergency services said.

Spokesperson Synock Matobako said the fire was started by a stove that was left unattended in a shack.

"Eleven shacks have been gutted... People must not leave heaters and stoves unattended as they might cause a fire," he appealed.

"It is not only in informal settlements where we have cases of fires as a result of the cold weather, in Zola a house burnt down because a heater was left unattended."

He said no injuries were reported in Alexandra.

Comments
  • Ted - 2012-06-10 07:36

    we should end this shack business. And to know how close Sandton is ...?

  • jimi.harrison.7 - 2012-06-10 09:08

    Who called the fire dept? Who's going to pay?

  • Sean Wasserman - 2012-06-10 11:24

    It is very sad. I would hate to be homeless in this weather.

  • Mike Purchase - 2012-06-10 11:29

    I thought this only happens in the western cape?

  • pages:
  • 1