News24

3 children suffocate in Southern Cape

2012-06-28 19:03

Johannesburg - Three children, aged between three and 13, have died apparently from coal fire fumes in Kwanonqaba, Southern Cape police said on Thursday.

On Wednesday night the children Kwanele, 3, Zanoxolo, 6, and Wendy, 13, Kiewiets went to sleep with a coal fire in their room to keep warm, Captain Malcolm Pojie said.

The mother of two of the children, who was Wendy's sister, tried to wake them up on Thursday morning, but found them unresponsive.

"It is believed that they suffocated due to the toxicity of the smoke they had inhaled while sleeping," Pojie said.

"An autopsy will be conducted to determine the exact cause of death."

Police opened an inquest into the three deaths.

In Alberton, south of Johannesburg, on Tuesday, a woman and her infant son died of carbon monoxide poisoning while using a charcoal fire for warmth at an informal settlement.

Comments
  • Peter - 2012-06-29 10:03

    "It is believed that they suffocated due to the toxicity of the smoke they had inhaled while sleeping," Pojie said. Malcolm, you can't "suffocate due to toxicity". You suffocate from no air,eg,a plastic bag over the head. They died from carbon monoxide poisoning,(a natural bi-product when any fossil fuel is burnt.)Very sad indeed.

  • Musa Sdumo - 2013-09-14 17:48

    Poor, young souls. May they rest in peace

  • pages:
  • 1