News24

3 'seriously hurt' in mall gas blast

2012-02-02 12:57

Johannesburg - Three workers were seriously injured in a gas explosion at the Festival Mall in Kempton Park on Thursday, Mugg and Bean management said.

"Our restaurant was badly damaged by the explosion which happened around 07:00 on Thursday morning," said Kevin Hedderwick, CEO of the restaurant's holding company Famous Brands.

"The three workers who have been hospitalised have serious injuries, but these are not life-threatening," Hedderwick said.

Several other workers were treated for minor injuries.

"Counselling has been offered to other workers who witnessed the explosion."

Ekurhuleni emergency services management spokesperson William Ntladi said no customers were injured.

"The explosion happened in one of the back rooms near the kitchen of the Mugg and Bean restaurant," Ntladi said.

The local fire chief, police and representatives of gas supplier Afrox were still on the scene.

Ntladi earlier said the blast was apparently a gas explosion.

- Were you there? Send us your eyewitness accounts and photos.

Comments
  • Steven - 2012-02-02 13:04

    OUCH, MAY THEY RECOVER SOON. POOR MUGG AND BEAN, HOPE THE MUGGS AND BEANS ARE STILL THERE...

  • Marius - 2012-02-02 13:20

    Happy to hear Mugg and Bean are providing counseling. I presume all medical bills will be handled by them as well.

      Juan - 2012-02-02 13:27

      Workers could claim from WCA

  • Chris - 2012-02-02 13:25

    Safety, safety, safety! When will people understand?

      George - 2012-02-02 13:40

      Dam, over done burges again

      Blane - 2012-02-02 13:51

      The workers obviously received no training WRT the handling of LPG , talk youre way out of this one M&B

      Rip - 2012-02-02 15:59

      @Blane. Where is it "obvious" that the workers received no training? It could have been a leaking cylinder tap, leaking cylinder flange gasket or a leaking pipe connection. Nothing much workers can do about that. Accidents do happen.

      Blane - 2012-02-02 16:47

      @ Rip , Ill forgive this time , but any worker who deals with LPG and has been trained will know that certain steps must be followed in the event of a gas leak . Firstly there is a stench in the gas warning that there is a gas leak , secondly when smelling the leaking gas certain steps must be taken to prevent an accident , like ; Do not light a ciggie , do not switch lights on , ( the spark could ignite the gas ) open all windows and doors to ventilate the area , @Rip , do you want me to carry on , stick with what you know best , health and safety is not one of them

  • savage.prod - 2012-02-02 14:04

    at least they got the day off

  • Rudolph - 2012-02-02 14:13

    First comment by CEO (and I paraphrase) - "the building is badly damaged. O' and some people were injured too." typical...

      Rip - 2012-02-02 16:00

      Unfair paraphrasing!

  • KayMoruane - 2012-02-02 16:15

    Bomb ingredients ....((((Bean))))

      Rip - 2012-02-02 16:20

      Not fair Kay. It's only the baked ones that are lethal. Lots of other beans are quite harmless! How do you think innocent varieties of beans feel if you generalise like that? LOL.

      Blane - 2012-02-02 16:49

      @ Rip , read my comment above

  • Franco - 2012-02-02 17:00

    Come to Mugg and Boom for a taste explosion!

  • Lincoln - 2012-02-02 23:11

    Id sue the beans outta them....!

  • pages:
  • 1