News24

3rd man held for mass KwaZulu-Natal shooting

2012-08-29 11:09

Johannesburg - A third man has been arrested for the shooting in KwaZulu-Natal in which five people were killed and 17 injured, police said on Wednesday.

Colonel Jay Naicker said 57-year-old Zwelibanzi Mthetwa was arrested on Sunday and appeared in the Nyoni Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

"Mthetwa and his two co-accused, Sibongiseni Mthetwa, 25, and Sithembiso Mthetwa, 28, were expected back in court on September 3 for their formal bail application."

Naicker said the three men face charges which include six counts of murder and sixteen of attempted murder.

The men were accused of shooting five people dead and injuring another 17 at Ngudwini earlier this month.

A group of armed assailants allegedly attacked people who were attending a traditional function at the Khuzwayo homestead on August 4.

Naicker said the motive for the shooting was unknown, and it was not linked to political violence.

He added that more arrests were imminent.