4 arrested for public violence after shacks demolished in George

2017-09-12 20:37
Mass evictions in an area in George in an operation conducted by Cape Town Red Ants. (Supplied)

Mass evictions in an area in George in an operation conducted by Cape Town Red Ants. (Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Video

WATCH: Inside the Boston Centre in Bellville following mass evictions

2017-09-05 13:02

The Red Ants evicted scores of people from the Boston Centre in Bellville on Tuesday. Watch. WATCH

Cape Town – Three women and a man were arrested for public violence after illegal structures were demolished in Thembalethu, George, on Tuesday, Western Cape police said.

"The crowd was unruly and our officers had to use stun grenades to disperse them," said Captain Malcolm Pojie.

The police had been on scene to assist the Red Ants and the Sheriff.

The Western Cape human settlements department said 87 illegal structures had been demolished on various portions of land.

This was after it obtained a court interdict to demolish the structures and put up notices.

The structures were built on land which the department had set aside for mixed-use development.

Over 4 000 "housing opportunities" would be delivered in the area as part of the Upgrading of Informal Settlements Programme, said department spokesperson Nathan Adriaanse.

The first phase, consisting of 1 750 housing opportunities, was already complete and beneficiaries had taken occupation.

The department was busy with the second phase.

The invaded area formed part of this phase.

Head of Human Settlements Implementation in the department, Phila Mayisela, said the invasion of land would delay the housing project and affect many beneficiaries who had been waiting patiently for houses.

“We cannot allow a handful of people to delay a project that will benefit thousands of families," she said.

"If people are not happy about anything related to our housing allocation, they are always welcome to talk to us."

All refuse trucks and municipal staff were withdrawn from the area due to safety concerns, said George municipality spokesperson Chantel Edwards-Klose.

Rubbish still had to be collected in Phelendaba, Ondongwe, Silverton, Zone 6 and Zone 9.

"The refuse collection will take place as soon as the situation has resolved."

Pojie said the situation was calm and officers were monitoring the area.


Read more on:    protests  |  housing

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.