News24

4th victim of Randfontein fire dies

2012-06-07 10:01

Johannesburg - A 14-year-old girl who was rescued from her parents' burning house in Randfontein has died in hospital, bringing the death toll to four, Beeld newspaper reported on Thursday.

Adri Jordaan sustained burns to 87% of her body when a fire swept through her family's home on Sunday, killing her sisters Salome, 11, Tanya, 5, and step-brother Armand, 2.

The blaze was thought to have been caused by a candle.

The West Rand District Municipality has admitted that there was inadequate access to water in the area, which meant that the fire brigade had to leave the scene to go and refill their water tanks.

The fire brigade allegedly returned to the burning house half an hour later, by which time it had almost burned to the ground.

Jaco Jordaan, the children's father, told newspaper that he planned to take the municipality to court, "to prevent the same thing from happening to somebody else's family".

According to Jordaan and several witnesses, emergency services were also very slow to respond to calls for help.

Comments
  • Henri - 2012-06-07 10:12

    My heart bleeds, let me guess all 400 firemen went with to fetch the water. why couldnt they use alternative means to get the kids out of the fire atleast, forget the house.

      Elizabeth - 2012-06-07 13:50

      I think there was not enough perfume for them to loot in the process, etc.

  • Curry - 2012-06-07 10:14

    Fire trucks have no water and ambulances are "not available for the next 19 hours" - all the while corruption reigns and fat cats get fatter. Disgusting! May time heal the heartbreak of those left behind and cheated by a government that doesn't seem to listen or care.

  • Christopher - 2012-06-07 10:17

    Viva anc service and delivery...morons!

      Christopher - 2012-06-07 10:19

      I hope that a fire sweeps through your homestead Zuma and friends! let this world take from you now! Had enough you taking from us!

  • John - 2012-06-07 10:22

    The head of the fire department should be charged with 4 counts of premeditated murder. There is no ways he/she could have not known about the condition of the fire fighting equipment.

      Megan - 2012-06-07 10:50

      Not the head of the fire department. The station commander was probably VERY much aware of the conditions of the hoses and engines, but when your every single attempt at correcting it is blocked by the powers above because of "insufficient funds" then the only thing left to do is try to do your best with the little you have. I really wish people would begin to understand that fire fighters and paramedics deal with the most horrific things on a daily basis - no one EVERY says thanks, instead all we get is blame, blame and more blame for things that are completely out of our control. Before pointing fingers at the fire crew and station commanders why don't you find out how they're actually feeling after this incident. But then again "we, the willing FEW, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful for so long..."

      Hermann - 2012-06-07 11:25

      @Megan --- well said!!

  • carolyn.dewrance - 2012-06-07 10:25

    Time the fat cats copped it, we are sick of paying for services that only the rich can afford. Time to bring out that real spear, and get something done with the corrupt ANC we have here. My heart goes out to the family of these children. May they rest in peace in a better place.

  • anette.smith.16 - 2012-06-07 10:38

    This is not the first time the Randfontein Fire Department screwed up. A few years ago there was no fire engine/truck to respond to a house on fire. When one eventually arrived from Krugersdorp, the hose was so full of holes that no water ever got to the burning house. I am sure if contacted the Randfontein Herald will be able to give all the details on that fire. What an absolute joke these people are!!!!!!

      Elizabeth - 2012-06-07 13:51

      New form of irrigation BUT in the wrong place, maybe ANC's way of showing how good they are at creating something WORTHLESS...

  • noeline.degee - 2012-06-07 11:10

    Where were the parents when all this was taking place?

      Steve - 2012-06-07 11:32

      HuH !!!!!Can't you read

  • natalie.matthysen - 2012-06-07 11:24

    RIP little ones

  • jaysonpaul.beckwith - 2012-06-07 11:58

    I don't think the fire brigade should come under so much pressure. The blame should be put on the municipality for not having adequate water supply to that specific area. I,e fire hydrants. A fire truck can only carry so much water. Yes they could of mabey prevented the tragic deaths of the children. But The fire may have been so out of control, That entry was impossible. You can't walk into flames even if you are a fire man. Very tragic story. So sorry for the loss.

  • monique.feilingrawjee - 2012-06-07 12:47

    sorry if I can't read - but where were the parents?

      jaysonpaul.beckwith - 2012-06-07 12:56

      Good question Monique,, once again, half a story.

  • Saleé - 2012-06-07 13:02

    RIP.

  • Danie - 2012-06-07 15:39

    Why is it that only children died in this fire \r\nMaybe there's more to the story that meets the\r\nEye. Where was the parents. If it was my children\r\nIn that house I would sacrifice my last breath\r\nJust to save them and I wont stop till all of \r\nThem was safe

  • Dianne - 2012-06-07 16:02

    This is so very very tragic. Lives that could have been saved if there was no so much decay and rot in all of our Munucipality....nothing works anywhere. May these children RIP and condolences to the family.

  • kevin.dawson.372 - 2012-06-10 15:31

    Accidental Candle Fires can be Prevented I am a former UNMIL Fire Marshal that has a special place in my heart for my friends and Firefighters in Africa. Kevin's Kandles has been founded as a direct result of my assignment in 2007-2008. The weekly fire calls for accidental candle fires in Monrovia had a profound impact on me, I knew I had to do something more. Now Kevin's Kandles are available - How do we encourage suppliers like Monoprix or Bridgeway to offer these candles to all Africans? They are Much Safer than paraffin candles, less than half the price and environmentally friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out! In January 2012 another tragic accidental candle fire occurred in Monrovia, Liberia. 150 homes were destroyed and 2,500 people were left homeless. This tragedy could have been prevented with Kevin’s Kandles. It’s time for the UN and other Poverty Relief Groups to embrace these Much Safer candles. A shipping carton measures 15 x 15 x 20”, weighs 22 pounds and contains 500 packs of Kevin’s Kandles. Each pack has the potential to provide a family with 3+ months of safer candle illumination. A shipping container holds 324,000 packs of these candles. To watch the demonstration video and read the “Small Steps” folder visit www.asafercandle.com Let’s reduce the number of accidental candle fires!

  • kevin.dawson.372 - 2012-06-10 15:44

    Most accidental candle fires like this can be prevented! Kevin's Kandles provide an innovative concept in safer candles for illumination. These candles are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out! Ideal for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness. Help reduce the risk of accidental candle fires in our communities by visiting www.asafercandle.com

  • pages:
  • 1