Another charge for Maqubela accused

2010-06-04 16:24

Cape Town - Thandi Maqubela, accused of murdering her husband, acting Judge Patrick Maqubela, and her co-accused are to face an additional charge, a Cape Town magistrate was told on Friday.

Though the court was not told what the charge would be, it is understood that it will be fraud or forgery.

Prosecutor Samantha Raphels told Magistrate Vusi Mhlanga that the State intended to apply to the national director of public prosecutions for a charge to be added.

The national director's permission is required when a prosecutor in one jurisdiction wants to try an accused for an offence committed in another.

Mhlanga postponed the case to August 3.

Raphels said an indictment would be served on Maqubela and co-accused Vela Mabena then.

Lawyers for the pair said they would also on August 3 apply for a relaxation of their bail conditions.

Maqubela is out on R100 000 bail and Mabena on R20 000. Both have to report daily to police stations.

Mr Maqubela, 60, was found dead on his bed in a rented Bantry Bay, Cape Town, flat in June last year.

Police initially said he died of a heart attack, but later opened a murder investigation.