AWB's Visagie stands his ground
Lunga Biyela, News24
Cape Town – Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging (AWB) secretary general André Visagie says the reason he lost his temper during the recording of an eNews show on Wednesday was because he was not given the opportunity to respond to accusations made against him.
Visagie made headlines after footage of him storming off set during an interview was aired on eNews Prime Time on Wednesday.
He was being asked questions by political commentator and guest Lebogang Pheko on the show hosted by Chris Maroleng.
"I cannot understand why they would invite me to the studio if they won't allow me to say what I want to say, while the other guest was allowed to," he told News24 on Thursday.
Racially discriminated against
"At one point, I had made eight points on the accusations that had been made against me," Visagie said.
He said one of the accusations made against him was that he is a racist and hated black people.
"When I replied, I was not allowed to answer them as the other guest," he said. "They created the impression that I am guilty of the things they have said."
He said he was being racially discriminated against during the recording of the show.
"The other guest was not at any point interrupted," he added.
Visagie said he immediately phoned ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe after leaving the studio.
"I warned him that while ANC were trying to work toward peace, those two were trying to disrupt racial relations," he said. "I find this very irresponsible."
According to Visagie, he had met with Mantashe on Tuesday and said he believes the ANC and AWB could work together in calming racial tension.
When asked if he would go back and do the interview again, Visagie said: "I’ll send them to hell if they called me back. I don't mix with children and I won't get back to them."
Ben Said, eNews group news editor, said he did not think that Pheko had lost objectivity during the recording.
"She has her opinion just like the member of the AWB has," said Said.