Accused ditched loot after priest's murder
Pretoria - One of the four young Diepsloot men accused of murdering a priest during a robbery told the court on Friday he had thrown his share of the loot away because he was scared after hearing a shot.
Jabu Ndebele, 19, admitted in the North Gauteng High Court he wanted to share in the proceeds from the sale of a computer he and four co-accused had robbed at the Diepsloot presbytery in 2009.
He claimed he had thrown the keyboard and mouse into the bushes because he was scared about what had happened in the house that day.
He said he had not returned to retrieve the items because he had heard a gunshot in the house.
Ndebele testified that he had at first thought that one of his friends, Nelson Malope, had been shot.
He said he knew nothing about a firearm and had not been aware that anyone was armed when they went to the presbytery that night.
Ndebele, Kgaugelo Manzini, Thembalethu Sindane and Freddy Mahlangu all testified that they had not been aware that Malope had a firearm.
Sindane, who was 16 years old at the time, testified that he was never even at the presbytery that night and had only been asked afterwards to keep and sell a computer and cellphone.
Manzini said he had guarded the house outside while the others went in and had nothing to do with either the robbery or the murder.
All four have pleaded not guilty to charges of murdering Father Louis Blondel and robbing him and fellow priest Father Guido Bourgeois of a computer, cellphone and watch.
Malope, who was last year sentenced to 18 years imprisonment after pleading guilty to the charges, testified that the accused had planned the robbery with him and knew that he was armed, although they had never planned to shoot anyone.
The trial was postponed to Wednesday next week for legal argument.