Alleged child killer-rapist in court

2014-06-10 20:04


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - A man accused of raping a nine-year-old girl and then setting her alight did not get his chance to apply for bail in the Bellville District Court, Cape Town, on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old, who may not be named until he pleads to the charges, will return to court on Wednesday.

He was arrested on 19 January. Initially, he faced charges of abduction, sexual assault, rape, and attempted murder.

Because the victim died in hospital from her burns on 18 March, the attempted murder charge was changed to murder.

When he appeared on Tuesday morning, the matter had to stand down because the investigating officer had not brought the docket from the director of public prosecutions' office in Cape Town. The docket was eventually brought to court at 14:30.

The man's Legal Aid lawyer Neesha Salie said this left her no time to peruse the docket before arguing for bail.

As the offences were schedule six in terms of the Criminal Procedure Act, she had to argue exceptional and compelling circumstances existed to justify his release.

Salie claimed the State had refused her previous requests for more information on the case against her client.

She applied to Magistrate Fezile Fani for further particulars.

"It is intolerable that the State might adopt a purely passive role in the confidence that the accused will not discharge his onus to prove exceptional circumstances exist."

Salie said she needed to see how strong the State's case was, especially as it alleged he was linked to the offences by DNA.

Prosecutor Clifford Moatlhodi said the defence's application took him by surprise.

Fani postponed the matter to allow the defence to look at the docket and for the bail application to proceed.

The man was being held at Goodwood prison. He previously complained of being assaulted. For his safety, the court ordered him to be kept in solitary confinement and under medical observation.

His face still bore a number of fresh scars from the assault.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    cape town  |  child abuse publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

No '07 France ghosts - Foster
Boks not underestimating Wales scrum
Boks play repeat knockout at RWC
O'Connell out of World Cup - Laporte
Traffic Alerts

You may find it hard to focus on the mundane routines as the greener pastures seem so tempting. It is a good time to expand more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.