Alleged killer abandons bail bid

2013-07-22 22:12

(Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - A hawker, who allegedly killed a father of three while out on bail on a housebreaking charge, abandoned plans on Monday to ask for bail again.

On Sunday, 7 July, Roshan Singh, father of three young children, was stabbed in the groin and bled to death during an early-morning burglary at his home in the Ridgeworth neighbourhood of Bellville, a suburb of Cape Town.

The alleged killer, Mcebisi Mbhekeni, 32, surrendered to police five days later.

He allegedly robbed Ridgeworth resident Gwynnedd Muller in September last year, while out on parole.

He was arrested nearly four months later and released on R1 500 bail after his third appearance in the Bellville District Court, before Magistrate Jannie Kotze.

However, he had absconded when his case was again called in April. While on the run after absconding, he allegedly burgled the Singh home.

During his second court appearance in the Singh matter, on 15 July, he said he would launch a second bail application when he appeared again on Monday. At Monday's proceedings, however, his Legal Aid lawyer said he had abandoned his intended bail application.

He initially faced charges of housebreaking with intent to steal, and theft, relating to the Muller incident.

Combined charges

At Monday's hearing, the prosecutor said the two crimes would be combined into one case.

In addition to the Muller charges, Mbhekeni now faces charges of murder, attempted murder and assault with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm.

The last two charges relate to his allegedly stabbing Singh's wife.

He further faces charges of robbery, housebreaking with intent to steal and theft out of a motor vehicle.

The prosecutor said the case would be referred to the local directorate of public prosecutions to finally decide the charges and the trial venue.

Any further application for bail would be opposed

The prosecutor said the investigation in the first burglary had been completed, and the State awaited the post-mortem report on Singh.

Read more on:    cape town

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
6 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.