Appeal judgment on Zulu reserved
Pietermaritzburg - Judgment in an appeal against the culpable homicide conviction of Durban businessman Prince Sifiso Zulu was reserved in the KwaZulu-Natal High Court in Pietermaritzburg on Thursday.
Zulu, 42, former head of the Durban Chamber of Commerce, was convicted by Durban magistrate Thomas Nhleko in April 2010.
The court found that Zulu, driver of a BMW X5, jumped a red robot and crashed into a bakkie, killing two members of the Souls Harbour Church and injuring eight others in March 2008.
Zulu was sentenced to five years in jail, two suspended, plus fines totalling R7 000 for various driving offences.
Zulu's lawyer, Thabani Masuku, told Judge Piet Koen and acting Judge Themba Mjoli, that Zulu had told police that a man named Gumede had been driving his car at the time.
State advocate Johan du Toit said Zulu initially named the driver as Gumede, but later said it was a man named Ngcobo.
Evidence was given that after the accident, two men - one dressed in khaki and the other in a white shirt and with dreadlocks - ran from the crash scene.
Later Zulu, who was dressed in khaki, was seen at the Durban police station. He was seen at least two more times dressed in khaki, including in the company of suspended police commissioner General Bheki Cele.
Du Toit said Gumede had not come forward, and not charging Zulu for the crimes would have been a miscarriage of justice.
Masuku said if the convictions were upheld the court should impose a more lenient sentence.