Architect, artist killed in attacks

2014-01-02 22:40

(File) (Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - An acclaimed architect and an artist were shot dead by robbers in two new year's attacks, The Star reported on Thursday.

Architect and yachtsman Rob Meek, 62, was killed on the stoep of his beach bungalow in Port St Johns, in the Eastern Cape.

His wife Di told the newspaper three men wearing balaclavas approached the group of family and friends just after midnight on new year's eve.

She said the men did not ask for anything before one of them shot her husband.

"There was no provocation," she said, adding that the three ran off without taking anything.

Clinton de Menezes

KwaZulu-Natal police said South African artist Clinton de Menezes was shot dead in Durban during a home invasion in the early hours of new year's eve.

Spokesperson Thulani Zwane said De Menezes, who was staying with friends in Berea West, Durban, went to help a friend prevent armed robbers from entering the house in the early hours of 31 December.

The robbers fired a single shot through the sliding doors, fatally wounding the artist. They stole a cellphone, a laptop and a handbag.

De Menezes left South Africa several years ago and had been living in Kenya with his wife and daughter. He had worked in private and corporate collections internationally.

Zwane said paramedics declared De Menezes dead on the scene.

Shortly afterwards, seven people were arrested after a case was opened at the Westville police station.

"All stolen goods taken from the house were recovered from the suspects, including three cellphones and a wallet. A 9mm pistol suspected to have been used during the shooting was found, as well as a toy gun."

The pistol would be sent for ballistic tests to establish whether it had been used in any crimes in the country.

The seven, aged between 25 and 30, appeared in the Pinetown Magistrate's Court later on Thursday.

They have been linked to two other robberies in Westville in the past two weeks.

National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Natasha Ramkisson-Kara said the case was postponed to next Thursday for a formal bail application.

Read more on:    durban  |  east london

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.