Arms deal commission: No free pass for ANC

2013-03-11 12:42
Willie Seriti (File, Beeld)

Willie Seriti (File, Beeld)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Reports that the involvement of the ANC and its leadership in the arms deal will not be investigated are false, the Arms Procurement Commission said on Monday.

"Currently no evidence against the said organisation [ANC] has been brought to the attention of the commission," spokesperson William Baloyi said.

"But this does not mean there is no information. Maybe it is information we can't disclose. Should evidence come to light the commission will investigate."

Baloyi explained the current list of individuals called to testify at the hearings was the first phase.

"We called for submissions and individuals and groups made submissions, and out of those submissions and other investigations we compiled a list of 12 individuals who would come for the first phase of the hearings. That is not a conclusive list," he said.

"Investigations are still ongoing and our evidence leaders are meeting with other witnesses and implicated people."

Media reports

The Sunday Times reported that the African National Congress and its leaders, believed to be the main benefactors of the arms deal, were given a free pass, and that no party officials would be questioned or bank accounts examined.

The newspaper said it had seen a letter written by commission chair, Judge Willie Seriti, on February 26 which read: "No evidence implicating the African National Congress has been brought to the attention of the commission."

Baloyi said the letter was a response to lawyers for one of the witnesses asking why certain people were not called to testify.

"As indicated before the investigation continues and the list [of witnesses] provided is not the final one."

He said the commission had postponed the start of the hearings because new evidence emerged implicating individuals and organisations, which had to be investigated.

"This letter was issued before we came to the conclusion of postponing because of new evidence. It is premature to come to a conclusion that certain organisations and individuals are not going to be called," Baloyi said.

Three-man commission

In February the commission announced that the hearings, which were scheduled to start on 4 March, had been moved to 5 August because of developments in the investigation.

In October 2011 President Jacob Zuma announced that Seriti, a Supreme Court of Appeal judge, would chair the three-man commission of inquiry, assisted by judges Hendrick Musi and Francis Legodi.

In January, one of the commission's senior investigators, lawyer Norman Moabi, accused it of having a second agenda.

Moabi, a former acting judge from Pretoria, alleged in a letter leaked to media that the commission was not transparent and concealed a "second agenda".

Moabi wrote in the letter, addressed to Seriti, that he was resigning because of interference and because he had lost faith in the commission's work.

Commission woes

Initially Judge Willem van der Merwe - the judge who acquitted Zuma on a rape charge - was appointed to help Seriti, alongside Legodi.

However, in December 2011, the presidency said Van der Merwe would not be able to serve on the commission for personal reasons.

Zuma then appointed Free State High Court Judge President Musi to replace Van der Merwe.

In May 2012, commission secretary Mvuseni Ngubane was found dead in his car in Pinetown, KwaZulu-Natal.

Police said a suicide note was found near the body, but parts of it were illegible because of blood stains. It was thus not clear why he committed suicide.

Ngubane would have been responsible for managing the commission's budget and ensuring it had administrative support.

The multi-million-rand arms deal has dogged South Africa's politics since it was signed in 1999, after then Pan Africanist Congress MP Patricia de Lille raised allegations of corruption in Parliament.

Zuma was himself charged with corruption after his financial adviser Schabir Shaik, who had a tender to supply part of the requirements, was found to have facilitated a bribe for him from a French arms company.

The charges against Zuma were dropped in 2009.
Read more on:    anc  |  jacob zuma  |  willie seriti  |  military  |  arms deal

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
47 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.