News24

Arms deal submissions disappointing

2012-08-07 10:45

Johannesburg - Public response for submissions to the Arms Procurement Commission was disappointing, according to a report on Tuesday.

Only eight submissions had been received by the August 1 closing date, The New Age reported.

Commission spokesperson William Baloyi said: "These were all made by the real role players in what has become known as the arms deal, but is officially called the strategic defence procurement package."

The submissions were from institutions, individuals, and companies, he said.

"The request to Parliament for information and documentation has also been acceded to and the commission also received information from law enforcement agencies."

The newspaper reported that the commissioners had already visited European countries in their hunt for evidence of wrongdoing.

The commission has been given two years to finalise its investigation and has the power to subpoena witnesses.

"The commission is now hard at work compiling lists of people who can assist it in its work," said Baloyi.

In November, President Jacob Zuma said he was also prepared to give evidence.

The commission was formed to investigate allegations of fraud, corruption, impropriety and irregularity in the multibillion-rand arms deal package signed in 1999.

It has dogged South Africa's politics since it was signed after the then Pan Africanist Congress MP Patricia de Lille, who is now mayor of Cape Town, officially raised allegations of corruption relating to the deal, in Parliament.

Comments
  • busani.mabunda - 2012-08-07 10:56

    somehow i dont see public interested in a commission of inquiry with no backbone. The whole thing is a puppet show - with Zuma playing the strings.

      scouter.fourone - 2012-08-07 12:41

      Most thinking and aware South Africans have become so sickened by the daily reports of mind numbing corruption and theft that they are too busy presently organising a future elsewhere for themself, to be even remotely interested anymore. One day soon, the masses will turn around and realise that the 'Golden Goose' has long since fled their shore.......

      kala.bafazi - 2012-08-07 15:23

      Not to mention that nothing ever happens to those who have been found guilty of wrong doing. Most times they don't even receive a slap on the wrist. I would like to see some hangings for those found guilty of stealing from this country's citizens.

  • kikimotsapi - 2012-08-07 10:59

    is Baloyi an ANC member ?

  • ndou.miranda - 2012-08-07 11:06

    Kiki you can ask again hele, i mean the investigation must start with themselves, first on the list our dearest Mr.Zuma.

  • shirley.steenkamp - 2012-08-07 11:11

    This whole investigation is smoke and mirrors! Anyone believing there is anything honest to come out of this is deluded!

  • Gavin - 2012-08-07 11:12

    classic ANC tactics here - ignore it until it fades from memory. the bribes zuma and mbeki were paid have long since been spent.

  • J.Stephen.Whiteley - 2012-08-07 11:48

    In the 2012/2013 budget defence accounts for R40 billion (forty thousand million - 4 with ten noughts after it). That is: 4 per cent of the total budget of R1 trillion (one with twelve noughts), but that's for the armed forces. This helps me understand the obscenity of the SDP (Strategic Defence Package) costing R42 billion in 1999 - over R100 billion in today's money. This wasn't for the armed forces personnel, but pure hardware: frigates, fighter aircraft, submarines and helicopters, the first three of which the country needed like it needs green elephants. That was the obscenity: we are not threatened by any power except our own rulers

      leon.puth - 2012-08-07 14:15

      Stephen. whiel i agree thsi shoudl be investigated, i disagree with the argument that it was not needed. it took south africa 12 years to buy these and they are still not all operational. Nobody can predict international politics that far ahead, and leaving our defence untill we identify an enemy, given the 12 year cycle for procurement, would be reckless. in the bigger scheme of things, the procured items are fever in number than what we historically operated.

  • BigChiefPlumbPudding - 2012-08-07 11:52

    We will never get to the bottom of this one. It's a massive cover up by people who yield all the power, ans so they will just sit on it. Democracy? - well the Votas killed that years ago by continuing to vote for their corrupt party. So, we'll just have to live with the arms deal as long as the Votas keep voting for this criminal ANC party.

  • arthur.marks.754 - 2012-08-07 13:45

    The investigation should start with the President (the time of the Arms Deal). Followed by "all" the ministers past and present. If this is done with competence and honesty (we know this will NEVER happen) the country will then be able to close this book.

  • pages:
  • 1