Attacks on foreign nationals in Soweto condemned

2015-01-22 16:40
(File: AFP)

(File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Nehawu on Thursday condemned the attacks on foreign nationals in Soweto and called on police and government to take action against the perpetrators.

"Nehawu condemns the looting of shops and the killing of foreign nationals in Soweto by some criminal elements," National Education Health and Allied Workers Union (Nehawu) spokesperson Sizwe Pamla said.

"Our union demands drastic government intervention to snuff out this problem before it becomes a spreading cancer."

Nehawu said the country should have learnt a lesson from the 2008 xenophobic attacks.

Two local teenagers have been shot dead and two injured since violence broke out between locals and foreigners in Snake Park on Monday.

Eighty-one foreign-owned shops have been looted and 68 people had been arrested during the week.

The looting started on Monday after 14-year-old Mthetheleli Siphiwe Mahori was shot dead, allegedly by a foreign shop owner in Snake Park.

He was apparently part of a group that tried to rob the shop.

On Thursday, Senosi Yusuf appeared in the Protea Magistrate's Court accused of killing Mahori. His case was postponed to 26 January for a bail application.

The Star reported on Thursday that a second teenager, Nhlanhla Monareng, 19, was shot dead when police fired into a crowd gathered at a Pakistani-owned shop on Wednesday night.

He was a bystander and reportedly friends with the Pakistanis.

A 74-year-old Malawian shopkeeper, Dan Mokwena, was attacked and killed as she slept in his shop in Durban Deep, Roodepoort, in the early hours of Wednesday morning, The Star reported.

Four foreigners charged with possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition also appeared in court on Thursday.

Their case was postponed to 29 January, for their bail applications.

Read more on:    nehawu  |  soweto  |  johannesburg  |  crime  |  soweto unrest

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

ANC NEC cannot resign: Kodwa

2016-10-23 14:55 publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.