Baby dies, toddlers burnt in fire

2010-07-05 08:01

Johannesburg - A 1-year-old baby died, and his twin toddler siblings were badly burnt in a shack fire in Soweto on Sunday, Johannesburg police said.

Warrant Officer Kay Makhuvele said the incident occurred at 21:00, after the sleeping children were left in the shack alone.

"The grandmother who the children were living with went out to sell food.

"The older grandson, who was supposed to take care of the children went with her to help."

Twins rescued

When he returned, he found the shack on fire.

"Community members helped rescue the twins, both 2-years-old, but the baby was burnt beyond recognition."

The mother of the children was not living with them as she studies in Johannesburg.

The twins were taken to a Johannesburg hospital in a critical condition.

Makhuvele said a case of arson was opened and was being investigated.

"We have no clue as yet as to how the fire started," he said.