Baloyi: Municipality merger suspended

2013-01-24 14:34
Richard Baloyi (GCIS)

Richard Baloyi (GCIS)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - A proposal to merge two municipalities in the Free State has not been completely withdrawn, Co-operative Governance Minister Richard Baloyi said on Thursday.

He was explaining to reporters his decision to stop the proposed merger of the Metsimaholo and Ngwathe municipalities, in the Free State.

Baloyi said the process was suspended so it could be monitored by the demarcation task team, which was set up last year to ensure that changes to municipal boundaries were above board.

He said he was not usurping the powers of the Municipal Demarcation Board (MDB), which has the final say on municipal boundaries.

The task team would "babysit" the process "in [the] interests of stability in the country".

Residents in the area embarked on violent protests on Sunday in opposition to the proposed merger.

‘I had to act’

Since then four people have died, several have been injured and hundreds arrested. Several cars have been set alight and government buildings damaged in Zamdela.

"I received information that the people of Zamdela (informal settlement) are protesting... and that there was a total collapse of order in the area, all on reasons associated with the differences on a matter that had to do with local government structures... I had to act," said Baloyi.

He said he did have a mandate to stop the proposed merger to ensure that all concerns related to it were dealt with, "until we are satisfied that the manner in which it is done is so transparent that it leaves no space for people to find faults in the process, or reduce that to a minimum".

Baloyi said part of the ministerial task team's job would be to ensure that all those affected by the proposed merger had a say in the matter.

On Thursday, residents of the area began returning to work.

"Everything is under control, although the situation is still tense," said Colonel Motantsi Makhele.

‘People have a right to be consulted’

Baloyi said part of the ministerial task team's job would be to ensure that all those affected by the proposed merger had a say in the matter.

"People and processes connected with government must be processes that are seen to be clean.... People have a right to be consulted. [It's] not a privilege."

The team would, among others, investigate "whether the system is not open to manipulation, where the changes may only suit certain individuals who may be more vocal or advantaged by changes".

It would also look at whether changes to municipal boundaries would result in an improved state of a municipality and the services it provided.

The task team has until the end of February to complete its work.

"We are very sure that... we'll be able to assist the process," said Baloyi.

Call for Magashule’s resignation

He said he would meet with the MDB, the task team and service delivery facilitators on Thursday.

Baloyi defended Free State Premier Ace Magashule, who has been criticised for his silence on the issue and said no blame should be apportioned to his, as the merger was not proposed by the government, but by the MDB.

Congress of the People MP Dennis Bloem was less forgiving, and issued a statement calling on Magashule to show remorse and resign.

"Whilst the country was in turmoil and violent chaos due to the lootings vandalising and killings in the Free State, we find it quite disturbing that the premier of the province Ace Magashule remained not only silent, but absent as well, when Sasolburg turned into a war-zone," said Bloem.
Read more on:    bloemfontein  |  service delivery  |  protests

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Millions of plastic particles in our food!

Scientists and researchers believe that almost five million tons of plastic is dumped in the oceans every year and it’s affecting our food.



Plastic on your plate
Prince George the green prince?
Lean, green, drifiting machine
One man's $1 million vision for an eco Africa

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts

Trying to keep time for your social commitments and friendships as well as taking care of work and health obligations can be more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.