Blue light campaigners take plight to UN
Johannesburg- A lobby group trying to stop government ministers and other VIPs from using blue-light vehicles to move through traffic has accused the minister of transport of ignoring a public petition demanding he take action against the convoys.
Howard Dembovsky, chairperson of the Justice Project SA (JPSA), said the petition, containing 46,646 signatures, was "hand-delivered" to the offices of the national department of transport on December 1 and the minister, Sibusiso Ndebele, given until December 31 to respond.
"As a result of his [Ndebele's] inaction a letter has been drafted and delivered to the World Health Organisation at the United Nations, Dembovsky said.
Tiyani Rikhotso, spokesman for the ministry of transport, acknowledged receipt of the petition and told Sapa that the minister would respond in due course.
JPSA is lobbying against blue-light brigades after a Krugersdorp teenager, Thomas Ferreira, 18, was injured in November last year when the car transporting Gauteng housing MEC, Humphrey Mmemezi, jumped a red traffic light.
A blue flashing light was the only warning to motorists that the high speed luxury car was not going to stop.
Ferreira, who was knocked off his motorbike, is recovering but has suffered brain damage.