News24

Blue light crash: Probe into driver ongoing

2012-01-09 19:31

Johannesburg - Gauteng police said on Monday they were still investigating the driver of Housing MEC Humphrey Mmemezi, who allegedly crashed into Thomas Ferreira, 18, last year.

"The case is ongoing and the investigation is continuing. We will have a court date once a date is assigned by the court," said Lieutenant Colonel Katlego Mogale.

"We sent them the docket and once a date is assigned we will be able to proceed with the case."

Ferreira was injured while riding a motorcycle in Krugersdorp on the first weekend of November.

He was struck by a car carrying Mmemezi when its blue light was turned on to cross a red traffic light.

Police confirmed on November 9 that a case of reckless or negligent driving had been opened against the driver, Semitsi Modomai.

At that time Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane publicly promised to cover the costs of the teenager's medical bills.

The premier's spokesperson Xoli Mngambi directed all queries related to the incident to housing department head Mongezi Mnyani, who could not be reached on Monday.

He said on December 23 that the department had not paid any medical bills for Ferreira and would meet with his family early this year with to reach an agreement on how to proceed.

The costs of the rehabilitation centre where Ferreira is being treated are reportedly around R120 000 a month.

Comments
  • StarStruck - 2012-01-09 19:39

    And he is still driving Miss Daisy by the way. Hopefully the UN will take it more seriously.

      Squeegee - 2012-01-09 20:30

      "The case is ongoing and the investigation is continuing" - if only we could believe this spin. They are still trying to find a way of getting out of this mess. Still have not told us who the guy had an "urgent" meeting with.

      Denzil - 2012-01-09 20:37

      Most likely attending a "tender" meeting.

      Eric Schollar - 2012-01-10 06:48

      You are very fortunate that you and your family are still alive. Next time they may just blow you away.

      Sycotic - 2012-01-10 08:28

      @John I fully agree with what you did, mind you I wouldn't have done it with my family in the car. @Eric Schollar if everyone does it, let them just try and pull their firearms out on the public... The unfortunate thing is that most people are too damn scared of the government which shouldn't be the case. I reckon if everyone honestly blocked these jackasses off especially since they're not above the law, then what can they do?!?!?!

      derekneilmaclachlan - 2012-01-10 10:29

      @ John......Why dont you stop copying and pasting this same stupid comment every time the story is updated. Or dont you know how to write anything original!!!

  • Robi - 2012-01-09 19:49

    How long must this blue light kills and assults citizens? Please UN respond quickly before we loose more lives.

      Moss - 2012-01-10 08:11

      UN? What do you think UN will do? you moron you know that?

      Hermann - 2012-01-10 10:10

      Forget it there is nothing the UN can or will do. It is up to us.

  • ivan.coetzee2 - 2012-01-09 19:51

    How does a low-level (low life) MEC of housing even qualify for the priviledge of a driver let alone a blue light brigade??? These ANC lard-arses have an over inflated opinion of their selves. As for the premier, PAY UP you callous, lying individual!!

  • Gollum - 2012-01-09 19:51

    Ferreira in the first weekend of November. Nomvula Mokonyane publicly promised to cover the costs. December 23rd the department had not paid any medical bills AND ONLY THEN want to meet with his family early 2012 to reach an agreement on how to proceed I bet the most important part of the agreement is for the family to shut the hell up if they want any financial assistance at all. If Ferreira recovers...well then that's just a secondary spinoff. These ministers are cold blooded scumbags

  • Anthony - 2012-01-09 19:58

    this government has no backbone. come lock that sh%t up.

      George - 2012-01-10 13:17

      Just like news24 deleting comments

  • Shannon-lea - 2012-01-09 20:14

    Put them back on a bicycle on a farm road where they belong. Typical ANC trash. Cowards and liars. What is ther still to investigate?? This is not rocket science.

  • jody.beggs - 2012-01-09 20:17

    All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

  • ferreira.charmaine - 2012-01-09 20:45

    Absolutely shocking!

  • Alva - 2012-01-09 22:54

    This reads like something that will be swept under the carpet. Made to disappear!

  • Jaybee - 2012-01-10 07:15

    blue light with thier guns ,potholes, toll sh*t and taxi drivers we are not safe driving on this potholes raod

  • Andrew - 2012-01-10 07:18

    I wonder if any approach by Premier Mkonyani or M Mnyani has been made to the Ferriera family as was early stated to reach an agreement as to when the medical bills will be settled. Not on how to proceed as now seems to be the case,it was publicly promised by the Premier after a visit. Maybe this is just another broken promise made by the elitest people in government positions. Time will tell but in the meantime the Ferreira family must battle to survive and settle bills.

  • andrew.peace2 - 2012-01-10 07:34

    This "Blue Light Brigade", has now extended to the "diplomatic Cor". Driving home last night (18h00)on the N1 between the Gordon and 14th ave offramps, i was forced out of the outer lane by two D registered Mercedes Benz's. Obviously this diplomatic cavilcade also believe that they also can now ignore road laws, and operate with impunity. I hope the "consul general" of the diplomatic service to whom these two vehicles belonged is reading this, as this is not the way to behave on South African roads.

      procold2 - 2012-01-10 13:40

      The two drivers were contracted from the law abiding taxi industry

  • pages:
  • 1