Bongani Moyo to defend himself
Pretoria - Robbery accused Bongani Moyo will defend himself in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Tuesday when he appears on a charge of escaping from custody.
Moyo told the court in November 2011 that he had a toothache and could not participate in the trial for his escape from the same court in August 2011.
He said that he had been "unwell and had received some pills" to ease the pain.
Prosecutor Werner Gibson said the State had been ready to proceed with the matter and had brought in witnesses.
More than 10 armed police officers escorted Moyo into the courtroom. His hands were handcuffed behind him.
Moyo told the court he had been given a copy of the docket to prepare for the trial as he had opted to conduct his own defence.
He made headlines when he walked out of the court on August 10, while on crutches. He was arrested three weeks later.
It was not the Zimbabwean's first escape attempt. In March 2011, Moyo slipped out of Boksburg prison. He was arrested almost three months later.
Moyo and co-accused Leon Ncube, Thabani Sibanda and Khubulani Sibanda face a string of armed robbery charges.
All four are in custody and will appear on February 27 on the robbery charges.