Bongani Moyo's robbery case postponed
Pretoria - Escape artist Bongani Moyo and three co-accused appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Tuesday on a string of armed robbery charges.
Magistrate Maryke de la Rey postponed the matter to March 28 to allow the State to make an application to the National Directorate of Public Prosecutions to charge the four in terms of the Prevention of Organised Crime Act.
They remain in custody
Moyo, a Zimbabwean, faces armed robbery charges with Leon Ncube, Khumbulani Sibanda and Thabani Sibanda.
The four made their court appearance via a video link from Pretoria Central Prison.
State prosecutor Abe Koalepe told the court the State had finished gathering evidence, but wanted a two-month postponement for the Prevention of Organised Crime Act application.
De la Rey said she could not allow a two-month postponement and expected the State to inform her on March 28 of progress made.
Moyo made headlines when he escaped from the court in August by nonchalantly walking out with members of the public. He had been using crutches when he was brought to court by prison officials.
He was re-arrested three weeks later.
It was not the Zimbabwean's first escape attempt. In March, he escaped from Boksburg prison. He was arrested again almost three months later.
Moyo is expected to appear in court on Thursday in connection with his escape from the Pretoria Magistrate's Court.