Boy, 8, wins R11m lawsuit against dept
Johannesburg - An 8-year-old boy from Ekurhuleni has won an R11.6m lawsuit against the Gauteng health department, according to a report on Monday.
The family of Ntokoza Skhosana took the department and Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane to court after he became paralysed during child birth at the Far East Rand Hospital in Ekurhuleni, the Sowetan reported.
When he was born he suffered from cerebral palsy and had a paralysed left arm diagnosed as Erb-Duchenne Palsy.
Ntokoza's lawyer Gary Austin said the money would be placed in a trust, invested and administered for his client's benefit.
His mother Fuki Skhosana said the past three years had been tough.
"I am so relieved that it is over. We can now start a new life and get a house next to Ntokoza's school."
Ntokoza had started Grade One this month at a school for children with special needs.