News24

Bronx bail bid postponed

2012-07-10 14:00

Cape Town - The bail bid of one of the men accused of killing nightclub owner Bruno Bronn was postponed yet again in the Cape Town Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

Magistrate Zwelidumile Sogwagwa said the bail application of Achmat Toffa, 35, would resume on July 31.

It should have continued on Tuesday, but Toffa's lawyer William Booth was out of the country until July 23 and the attending prosecutor, Johan Swart, was only available from July 30.

Toffa and three others - Johan Frederick Coetzer, 36, Fareez Allie, 29, and Kurt Erispe, 32 - stand accused of killing Bronn in his Green Point home in February. Bronn owned The Bronx gay nightclub.

Sogwagwa said he would not yet pass judgment on whether to provisionally strike the case off the roll, as had been requested by the defence.

"It is my considered view that the [bail] application must proceed to determine the extent to which the defence is likely to suffer prejudice," he said.

The defence had previously argued that the accused were suffering prejudice because of delays in the case, specifically Toffa who had yet to be released. His co-accused are all out on bail.

Prosecutor Warda Steyn said the completed DNA report was in her possession. The State was awaiting a fingerprint report as well as a cellphone analysis. Both would be completed by the end of the month.

The matter was expected to be transferred to the High Court, with a pre-trial conference set down for August 31.