Bryce Moon trial to resume in March
Johannesburg - The trial of soccer player Bryce Moon charged with culpable homicide was postponed in the Randburg Magistrate's Court on Friday.
Proceedings would resume on March 26 next year because of the unavailability of witnesses, Magistrate Vincent Pienaar said.
The State did not say how many witnesses it intended calling.
Earlier in the day, Moon's lawyer Naren Sangham told the court that several postponements of the trial had cost his client a lot of money.
"The delay is inconveniencing my client and his career because this trial attracts a lot of media attention," Sangham said.
"It seems there are some parts of the State that cause these delays deliberately for reasons unknown."
He was reacting to the request for a postponement made by prosecutor Khutsho Ramasilela.
Moon is on trial after allegedly hitting Mavis Ncube with his Mercedes-Benz coupe in Sandhurst, Johannesburg on June 30, 2009.
Ncube died in hospital from her injuries.
Sangham said there were several witnesses in court on Thursday, including a nurse.
"There are many witnesses who can help speed up this trial so that we can reach finality."
He asked Pienaar to make every effort for witnesses to be present at the next date. Pienaar assured him this would be done.
Moon was wearing a pair of grey trousers, a white jacket, and a dark-brown shirt. He looked relaxed throughout proceedings.
The defender played for Panathinaikos in Greece before returning to South Africa to play for Pretoria-based Supersport United.
He also made several appearances for national team Bafana Bafana.