News24

Bug hospitalises 26 school children

2011-12-10 15:23

Johannesburg - Twenty-six pupils from Malvern primary school west of Johannesburg were rushed to hospital after they contracted a stomach bug on Saturday, Johannesburg Emergency Services said.

"The grade R children were attending their graduation ceremony at midday when they started vomiting, having diarrhoea and high temperatures," spokesperson Synock Matobako said.

"There was a caterer for the event but he said none of the children had eaten yet. So we suspect that one of the children was sick and passed the bug on to the rest."

The children were taken to the Charlotte Maxeke Academic, Germiston and Bedford centre hospitals for treatment.

Synock appealed to parents to keep children at home if they showed signs of illness and to teach them the importance of washing hands before and after meals.

Comments
  • Paul - 2011-12-10 16:55

    For a group of 26 kids to be affected by something viral or organic at a gathering - before they've (collectively) eaten from the same source - smacks of 'inaccurate information'. Except for drastic food poisoning, bugs take a while to 'hatch'. The organisers are trying to exonerate themselves, OR they partook in a substance and/or an activity which made them sick. One person could infect a class-room or a bus full of kids - at least 6 hours previous to manifestation. My verdict is food poison.

  • Steward - 2011-12-10 18:00

    My family got sick about the same time. Passed quickly for most of us. Was not the food as we were at different places at the time. Lots of my friends were also sick. Glad there hasn't been any fatalities.

  • Ina - 2011-12-11 07:29

    Who writes these stories? The school is EAST of Johannesburg. You can't even get your directions straight, let alone your facts.

  • pages:
  • 1