News24

Bus owner hands himself over

2010-05-06 22:22

Johannesburg - Police said the owner of the bus that crashed, killing 23 people in the Western Cape, handed himself over on Thursday. 

The 44-year-old man handed himself at the De Doorns police station in the presence of his lawyer, said spokesperson Frederick van Wyk said.

"The owner will appear in the De Doorns Periodical Court on Friday to face charges of culpable homicide."

Earlier on Thursday his driver appeared briefly in the Touwsrivier Periodical Court on culpable homicide charges.

His appearance follows the death of 23 people after he allegedly lost control of the bus causing it to overturn on the N1 between De Doorns and Touwsrivier on Wednesday.

A total of 19 people and three children died on the scene and one adult died on the way to hospital.

At least 15 people were in a serious condition in hospital.

The bus was on its way to Cape Town carrying 78 passengers, instead of the 64 it was certified to carry when the accident occurred.

The driver's case was postponed for further investigation to May 13.