News24

CT disaster centre on high alert

2012-07-08 21:51

Cape Town – The spokesperson for Cape Town’s disaster centre, Wilfred Solomons-Johannes, says the centre and other relevant departments remain on high alert to help flood-stricken residents.

Over the past few days the centre’s disaster response team assisted 962 households, which comprised 2 566 people, after roads, properties and informal areas were affected by persistent heavy rain and icy cold spells.

The centre distributed, among others, hot meals, food parcels, clothing, blankets and plastic sheeting.

He said between Friday and Sunday evening the city attended to 348 calls where roads, property and informal areas needed attention, of which 321 were dealt with.

The remaining of 27 incidents will be dealt with on Monday.

Solomons-Johannes earlier said the centre had declared an evacuation order for the River Club in Observatory lying next to the Liesbeeck River as a result of the rising water level.
 
He said at the time that the rising levels of the river jeopardised the safety of approximately 60 people on the premises and they had been evacuated.
 
Residents were urged to stay clear and to leave the surrounding areas immediately for their own safety. 
 
The Weather Office earlier issued several warnings as the country remained in the icy grip of winter.

Residents in the Western Cape were warned to expect very cold conditions, temperatures in KwaZulu-Natal plummeted and in the Eastern Cape residents were told to expect very cold conditions, especially over the north-western high ground.

Heavy thunderstorms were forecast for Gauteng and Mpumalanga.



 

Comments
  • anthonycharles.williams - 2012-07-09 07:42

    same thing ever year in winter, will they never learn

      Jeff Judge - 2012-07-09 11:02

      davenewza - 2012-07-09 11:12

      Why do you think that this disaster centre even exists? They attended to 321 out of 348 calls. How have they NOT learnt from previous experience?? They sound pretty prepared to me.

  • pages:
  • 1