Cabinet to appeal army rampage ruling
Cape Town – The Cabinet decided to lodge an appeal against the State in the matter between the defence union and Defence Minister Lindiwe Sisulu, minister in the presidency Collins Chabane announced on Thursday.
"Cabinet is of the view that the court decision could have a negative effect on the discipline in the defence force," he told a media briefing following Cabinet's last regular meeting of the year.
The North Gauteng High Court ruled on December 1 that the dismissal notices served on members of the SA National Defence Force following last year's August rampage at the Union Buildings had been unlawful and unconstitutional.
"The constitutional provision requires that the defence force must be structured and managed as a disciplined force," Chabane said.