Calm restored to Tembisa

2015-03-18 18:48
(File: News24)

(File: News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Tembisa, on the East Rand, was calm on Wednesday afternoon after a clinic was burnt down and shops looted during a protest in Winnie Mandela, Gauteng police said.

"The situation is calm and no further arrests had been made," said police spokesperson Kay Makhubela.

Angry residents resorted to blocking roads after the Red Ants Security and Eviction Services cut off electricity illegally connected in some of the houses.

The protest started at around 19:00 on Tuesday. A local clinic was set on fire and 11 vehicles parked inside the premises were also burnt, Makhubela said.

The protesters then proceeded to loot local shops owned by foreign nationals.

"One resident was arrested and charged with theft after he was found inside one of the shops. The rest managed to run away on foot."

Police were investigating cases of malicious damage to property, theft and public violence, Makhubela said.

Two minibus taxis were damaged after stones were thrown at them.

Ekurhuleni Mayor Mondli Gungubele condemned the burning of the clinic and urged the community to co-operate with the police by sharing information that would lead in the arrest and prosecution of the perpetrators.

"It is quite sad when you see these incidents. How do you set a clinic on fire when you and your family are dependent on it for survival? This just does not make sense," he said during his visit to the area on Wednesday.

"Our Constitution allows our people to embark on a protest if they are unhappy with something and everyone must respect that. However, when such actions turn violent and criminal we must be ready to respond the best way we know how and protect our property and innocent people," he said.

"What has happened here means we must now find resources to replace the damaged property when we could be broadening our services to those who do not have."

The municipality said it lost in the region of R200m a year due to illegal electricity connections.

Read more on:    mondli gungubele  |  johannesburg  |  crime  |  protests

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
12 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/World

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.