News24

Candle causes massive Cape fire

2012-07-15 17:24

Cape Town - A candle was the cause of the massive fire that wreaked havoc at Mandela informal settlement in Hout Bay on Sunday, killing one man, disaster management said.

"The deceased, Monwabisi Nguze, 39, was intoxicated at the time of the incident and went to bed without extinguishing a candle," said Cape Town head of disaster management Wilfred Solomons-Johannes.

He said 80 shacks were destroyed, leaving 400 people homeless. The fire, which started just after 01:00, destroyed most of the residents' belongings.

Humanitarian relief in the form of food, blankets and clothes were being provided for the victims, he said.

Comments
  • asafercandle - 2013-01-13 18:49

    Most accidental candle fires like this can be prevented! Kevin's Kandles provide an innovative concept in safer candles for illumination. These candles are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out! Ideal for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness and Poverty Relief. Help reduce the risk of accidental candle fires in our communities by visiting www.asafercandle.com

  • pages:
  • 1