Cape Town condemns attacks on MyCiTi buses

2015-02-06 12:29
MyCiTi bus. (City of Cape Town)

MyCiTi bus. (City of Cape Town)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - The City of Cape Town has condemned two incidents involving separate attacks on two MyCiTi buses in the city on Thursday night.

“The City of Cape Town condemns, in the strongest possible terms, the violence and utter lawlessness by criminals who have no regard for the attempts to resolve this dispute in a peaceful manner,” said the city’s Mayoral Committee Member for Transport Brett Herron.

“As from this morning [Friday], law enforcement officials have been deployed to monitor the service and to ensure the safety of our passengers and bus drivers.

“We are asking any eyewitnesses to come forward to help us identify those responsible for these despicable acts.”

The first incident took place in the Hangberg area in Hout Bay at 20:00, and not between 04:00 and 05:00, as previously reported.

According to the city, an object, presumably a stone, was thrown at one of the bus’s side windows. No injuries were recorded to the driver or the passengers, the city said.

The second incident took place in Woodstock on Thursday night, after an unidentified person attempted to torch a bus on Roodebloem Road at around 20:30.

An unknown man ignited something in the back of the bus after all of the passengers had exited at the stop, the city said. He then too exited from the bus and fled the scene, while the bus driver hurt his hand when he broke a side window to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher.

The back window was damaged in the attack, authorities confirmed, with police looking into video footage to apprehend the suspect.

The services on these two routes have been suspended.

There has been no clear evidence that the attacks were related to the ongoing MyCiti bus strike currently underway. Herron, though, reserved a warning for the perpetrators were they to be linked to the strike.

“We will be investigating these incidents and if it is found that some of Satawu’s members were involved, we will be holding this union legally responsible for their members’ conduct and the financial damages we have suffered,” Herron added.
Read more on:    myciti  |  satawu  |  cape town  |  crime  |  transport  |  strikes

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.