News24

Cape Town to remove carrier wreck

2012-09-10 10:26

Cape Town - The wreck of the Seli 1 in Table Bay, Cape Town, will be removed before next winter, it was reported on Monday.

Safety and security mayoral committee member JP Smith told the Cape Times the removal of the Turkish bulk carrier would be funded by the national transport department.

It had been estimated that it would cost R40m, based on calculations last year.

Smith said this amount would go to the SA Maritime Safety Association (Samsa) to contract the salvage.
The Seli 1 ran aground on September 7 2009.

Ten days ago, oil leaked from the wreck, blackening the sand of nearby beaches and oiling more than 150 seabirds.

National transport spokesperson Sam Monareng told the newspaper the national treasury had been approached for financial assistance and the matter was being considered.

He said the navy would assist the salvage company in drawing up a detailed plan of the operation.

Comments
  • Lacrimose - 2012-09-10 10:34

    HooRay!

  • nico.eksteen.7 - 2012-09-10 10:39

    Financial assistance is being considered. This could be next week, next year, whenever if ever. Depend on whether an ANC party comes up before the pay out.

      koos.vandermerwe.75 - 2012-09-10 10:47

      Nope, formal kickback talks still needs to be held.

  • mikel.kiparski - 2012-09-10 10:57

    the port that loaded the ship and gave it a clean bill for departure should be held liable for the costs.

  • shelley.vorster.9 - 2012-09-10 11:15

    so let me get this right..... you wait for one moerse gemorse to fix a smaller one? I just dont get it ..................... !?

  • gieljam.gomtor - 2012-09-10 11:19

    What a joke . Why after a delay of tantamount proportions and pollution ?

  • alex.apathetic - 2012-09-10 11:44

    As previously mentioned, this is a epic fail on Tannie Helen's part. A ship ran aground earlier this year in Camps Bay and was promptly removed within a week. This ran aground in Table View 3 years ago and all they've been doing is grappling over who'll be bearing the cost of the removal. Had it been Camps Bay or Sea Point you can be guaranteed it would have been gone the same day. Camps Bay has a lot more money to fill DA coffers than Table View. It's blatantly obvious that those living in more affluent/wealthy areas are given preference when it comes to matters like this. I'll go even further and say if it weren't for the oil spill the ship would stay there for another 3 years.

      patrick.mampane - 2012-09-10 12:20

      spot on Alex.

  • pages:
  • 1