News24

Cape Town tries to take action on wreck

2012-02-02 11:52

Cape Town - The City of Cape Town is declaring an intergovernmental dispute over the removal of the Seli 1 shipwreck from Blouberg, The Cape Times newspaper reported on Thursday.

Mayoral committee member for safety and security, JP Smith, told the newspaper he had called for a meeting with the Transport Minister Sbu Ndebele, Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa and the chief executive officers of Transnet, the National Ports Authority and the SA Maritime Safety Authority (Samsa) to resolve the issue “as quickly as possible”.

The meeting however, was "slightly disastrous", said Smith.

"Two key departments, transport and environmental affairs did not attend. The other departments, Samsa, the National Ports Authority and Transnet were there.

R30m cost

"But there was no department of transport, which is critical. This will cost R30m plus and we need to know who will carry the costs. That could be a lot of money."

A snapped anchor chain compounded with reduced engine power and stormy weather conditions resulted in the vessel grounding off Blouberg Beach shortly before midnight on September 7, 2009.

Smith said among the reasons the ship had been lying there since 2009 was that the owner did not have insurance and had abandoned the vessel.

Since the time of the stranding, several meetings had been held between city officials and other relevant departments and organisations.

A permanent solution for the management of the wreck had never been reached.

Environmental Affairs spokesperson Zolile Nqayi told the Cape Times the department had no prior invitation to the meeting.

Transport spokesperson Sam Monareng told the newspaper he would look into the matter.

Comments
  • inwardk - 2012-02-02 12:00

    Thanks to Helen for trying to restore the spendour of Bloubergstrand - surely the ANC would not have done this.

      Sedick - 2012-02-02 13:55

      Unless there was money to be made........

  • Aubrey - 2012-02-02 12:05

    Hey man we never had a jet to convey us to the meeting.

  • waz7710 - 2012-02-02 12:07

    And why not just leave it there as a wreck, it fits the "Cape of Storms", just set it properly and let it be

  • Rob - 2012-02-02 12:30

    Setting the bar for governence. Well done to the city, and what can you expect from the bunch of passengers in the departments. What a waste of space they are!

  • John - 2012-02-02 12:44

    It's amazing that the ANC can spend millions and millions on a party and corrupt officials but can't find the money to remove the Seli 1

  • Wimpie - 2012-02-02 12:54

    Yippee !!!! we "taxpayers" get to pick up the bill...again...well at least this time its worth it.

  • John - 2012-02-02 13:11

    I would say it is in S.A. waters not Int. waters(as we all know) cut up the wreck little bit by little bit sell as scrap metal the diff, let the port absorb the cost not the taxpayers.Work it out how much tons it ways and take it from there,demark the area(ocean and land),please people think a bit out the box and stop being negative for a change.

  • Etienne - 2012-02-02 13:15

    Use the wreck for advertisement, use that money to get rid of the wreck?

      John - 2012-02-02 13:23

      The people must understand that as we all are aware of all the abalone and crayfish not to mention the other sea creatures what will be affected,please view the way the Atlantic current flows there are a lagoon entry at Milnerton there is the vlei,rust on metal being in the ocean is like walking on razor blades.Think out the box like i said see the bigger picture!!!!!!

  • an0nthinker - 2012-02-02 13:52

    30million? Where did they get quoted? From the anc? Why can't the country where the company/ship comes from pay?

  • ludlowdj - 2012-02-02 14:24

    As we are all aware in most cases in this country wrecks are simply towed to sea and sunk, not recycled, so the problem of oil etc will not be resolved only deferred. The fact that the ship has been there since 2009 also speaks directly to the ability to deal with matters timeously.

  • Deeteem - 2012-02-02 15:29

    Why attend a meeting with this blonde D A whiteboy !! ANC YOU SUCK !!

      Janice - 2012-02-02 16:06

      What exactly atr you implying< call me stupid, but your comment really makes no sense.!

  • Lincoln - 2012-02-02 17:09

    just build a "jetti" to the ship.... At the rate that copper and powerlines gets stolen in SA, it should take NO time for the ship to dissapear @ a minimal cost ie. "scrap metal"!!

  • Lincoln - 2012-02-02 17:35

    What happened to the "Cutting Crew" mentioned in the "Seli 1 fire out" archive article above? They were supposed to return on Monday?? Mmmm probably got payed for the contract and then went awol!! ha ha ha

  • Nurse - 2012-02-02 18:30

    R30 million? Is it leaking oil? Otherwise let it decompose where it is.

  • Mark - 2012-02-02 18:38

    It should be stripped and the scrap sold to defray expenses. Millions of Dollars' worth of materials go into the construction of these things. Break it down and get some money back, even if it doesn't manage to break even, surely it can bring the cost down from R30 000 000.

  • Andries - 2012-02-02 19:55

    Jirre Zille, wake up! Just get a security company to guard the thing and tell them you want EVERYTHING intact when you come to inspect it a month from now - and when you arrive it will be gone. "Eish! Madam - it was here just yesterday! I see now it is gone".

  • ruben.maistry - 2012-02-02 21:09

    The relevent authorities should learn from this incident and not allow uninsured vessels to enter our waters.Marine law must now plug this loop hole and the owners of such vessels must be accountable.

  • Mark - 2012-05-09 09:38

    Hi, As the Seli 1 is in pieces, why don't just drag the pieces of the ship out to deeper waters, blow it up and turn it into a natural reef for sea-life and allow divers access to it, that in turn will add revenue to the cape coffers..

  • pages:
  • 1