Chanelle accused back in court
Pretoria - One of the men being held in connection with the murder of Faerie Glen mother Chanelle Henning will continue his application for bail in the Pretoria Regional Court on Tuesday.
In an affidavit read to the court during a previous appearance, Andre Gouws, 47, said he intended pleading not guilty to the charges when the trial started.
He claimed he was severely assaulted during his arrest and again during his detention.
The State is opposing bail.
The court has heard that Gouws received a call from Henning's estranged husband a few days before her death.
Investigating officer Captain Petrus van der Spuy testified that phone records indicated that Gouws was called from Nico Henning's phone on the weekend of November 6.
Five men were arrested in connection with the murder.
Two of them have already been tried and convicted.
Former policeman Gerhardus du Plessis and Willem Martinus Pieterse were each sentenced to 18 years' imprisonment in a plea bargain.
They pleaded guilty to the murder, possession of an unlicensed firearm and illegal possession of ammunition.
Instructions from 'caller'
Evidence led in their trial was that "a caller" instructed Gouws to postpone the hit because "the bitch has the baby this weekend".
Henning, who is a confirmed suspect in the case, has reportedly denied any involvement in the murder.
The couple had been embroiled in a dispute for the custody of their 5-year-old son. Chanelle won.
Without giving a name, Van der Spuy told the court that police had yet to catch "the mastermind" in the matter and he anticipated more arrests.
The fifth man arrested, former Nigerian Olympic athlete Ambrose Monye, previously abandoned his bail application and will appear again in the Pretoria Regional Court on February 16.
Henning was shot by two men on a motorbike while driving in Faerie Glen, east of Pretoria, moments after dropping off her son at the Morning Star Montessori crèche.