Confusion over Mandela grandson's court case

2015-09-16 19:30
Makaziwe Mandela and another member of the Mandela family arrive at the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court. (Stefan Heunis, AFP)

Makaziwe Mandela and another member of the Mandela family arrive at the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court. (Stefan Heunis, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - There was some confusion at the Johannesburg Magistrate's Court on Wednesday where a grandson of former president Nelson Mandela accused of raping a 15-year-old girl was due to appear.

A court official said Mandela was no longer scheduled to appear, but that his case had been moved to a later date.

Melvin Neale, who is on the young Mandela's defence team, confirmed that the matter was not heard in court as previously scheduled.

"I cannot tell you the reasons. This will be revealed in court on November 6," he said, refusing to divulge any more information.

The 24-year-old father of three, who bears a striking resemblance to his late grandfather, was granted R7 000 bail last month after spending over a week in jail.

During his bail application, he requested that he "not be treated as a Mandela but a normal citizen of the country".

The State alleged that the young man raped the teenager on August 7.

In her affidavit, the victim claimed the accused had forcefully kissed her, put his hands in her pants and raped her.

The accused has disputed this, claiming in his affidavit the sex was consensual and that he had no idea she was underage.

He claimed the pub where they had met did not allow entry to people under the age of 21.

The girl was also drinking and smoking, it was alleged, adding to the perception that she was older.

A chef from the pub handed in an affidavit claiming the pair were making out in the passageway of the pub.

He claimed to have witnessed nothing untoward.

Meanwhile, the bail conditions of the young man include him remaining at the same residential address, handing over his passport, not communicating with any witnesses and remaining in Gauteng.

He was also expected to report to the Norwood police station twice a week.

Read more on:    johannesburg  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.