Cops fuming over festive season leave
Hilda Fourie, Beeld
Pretoria - Gauteng police officials will not be allowed to take leave between December 15 and January 15.
That is according to a letter sent last week to provincial heads and sector, station and unit commanders.
It's an order from Lieutenant General Mzwandile Petros, Gauteng chief of police.
Many police officials complained to Beeld about this order.
"The people aren't angry, they're pissed off," said an official.
"Those who are most angry are the one who have already paid their deposits or their entire holiday. Some of these officials applied for leave back in February and March, and it was approved."
Focus on safety
According to the officials, no-one was allowed to take leave between April and July because of the soccer World Cup.
After July they couldn't take leave either, since the work which had not been done during the Cup had to be caught up.
The police had earlier attributed the success of the World Cup, during which there was less crime, among other things to the large number of police officials who were patrolling the country's streets.
Neville Malila, Gauteng police spokesperson, said over the past five to six years during the festive season leave has been managed and none is granted to operational officials.
"The police are responsible for service delivery and ensuring the safety and security of residents throughout the year.
"During the festive season the police will focus on safety even more. Commanders must manage the leave process and ensure that there is no interruption of service delivery over this period."
According to Malila, police officials were asked to take the leave - which they couldn't use during the World Cup - by the end of this month, and "many have done so".