Cops set up team to probe ANCYL assault
Johannesburg - Limpopo police have set up a task team to further investigate an ANCYL member for allegedly assaulting a journalist, after the case was struck off the roll last week, a spokesperson said on Monday.
"As soon as we are done with [the investigation], we will go back to court," Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said.
Last week, the case against Clifford Mohloana - who allegedly assaulted freelance journalist Chester Makana during the ANC's provincial elective conference in December - was struck off the court roll due to lack of evidence.
Mulaudzi on Monday acknowledged the lack of evidence was a setback.
"The video footage flighted on national television was not presented [in court], as well as witnesses [who were not called].
"We have made an undertaking saying we acknowledge the setback. We have set up a task team that is looking into that."
Makana, who was in court on Thursday, said he had been told the National Prosecuting Authority never received the video footage, and that only one of the three witnesses to the assault had been called to testify. He said he never received a case number after laying the complaint.
Makana denied weekend media reports suggesting that police had apologised to him for the errors in the investigation.
"I think it's a PR exercise saying they apologised," he said.