News24

Correctional services mum on De Kock

2011-12-15 21:15

Johannesburg - The correctional services department on Thursday said it was under no obligation to provide details on apartheid assassin Eugene de Kock's parole hearing.

Department spokesperson Sonwabo Mbananga said he did not understand why people needed to know about the hearing.

"I am under no obligation to disclose any information about the hearings, and I do not appreciate people asking me about it. What is this obsession with the case?"

De Kock's hearing was scheduled to take place on Wednesday, but was postponed.

The department was unable to explain the reasons for the postponement or confirm the new date set for the hearing, said another department spokesperson Phumlani Ximiya.

De Kock, along with fellow hit squad killer Ferdi Barnard, were among a number of inmates affected by a North Gauteng High Court ruling made in July this year.

It stipulated that anyone sentenced to life imprisonment before October 2004 must automatically be considered for parole after serving 13 years and four months of their sentence.

"The law requires that the department facilitates for the inmate to be considered for parole... It's because of that ruling that his [De Kock's] consideration for parole has been put forward," Ximiya said.

Standard procedure

He said the standard procedure for a parole application started with a case management committee compiling a profile on the inmate. The committee would hand over the profile to the parole board and suggest the direction in which the application should go.

The parole board would then make a decision on the inmate's eligibility based on the profile and factors such as the length of incarceration, and whether the inmate had attended rehabilitation programmes, such as for anger management or self-control.

Submissions from victims were also considered.

The board would then make a recommendation to a national council. The council would look into the case and pass on its recommendation to the minister, who had the final say.

Ximiya said the department had previously published a call in newspapers for victims or their relatives to make submissions when criminals sentenced to life before October 2004 came up for parole.

De Kock, the commander of the apartheid-era Vlakplaas security police unit, is currently serving two life terms and 212 years at Pretoria's C-max prison for masterminding assassinations of suspected anti-apartheid activists.

Comments
  • Warmonger - 2011-12-16 09:04

    The ABSOLUTE Arrogance of this sonwabo mbananga is mind-blowing!! Who does he think he is?? Oh yes! a "cadre", part of the superior elite destined to steer this mighty continent to world domination and Beyond- whilst ridding the world of the colonial scourge...

      Warmonger - 2011-12-16 09:25

      So when do we "move on" from that (and many other) part(s) of history? Yes it happend (De Kock, the nazi's, etc etc), when do we start getting over things? Or do we need to keep on vilifying certain races FOR EVER, so as to have someone to blame? Or to keep the focus off of others..? Why do people even bring up the Nazi's as an example, are you a jew? Is Germany even part of your history? Probably not, but if it makes you feel 'empowered' then all the more to you... Maybe that stick you so conscientiously refer to bounced of your mom

      Albert - 2011-12-16 09:27

      Geek,they kill because they are subhuman,

  • Jessica Steyn - 2013-05-15 10:02

    I dont understand why he has been, jailed, all prisoners from that time should be reconsidered, whether they are pink,white, black or indian! as everything then was run by the government! there are innocent people in jail that deserve to be looked at again! our current government is just throwing our beautiful rainbow nation down he drains and dont care! why not pay for the low cost housing that was promised instead of loaning it to Zimbabwe??? makes one think!

  • pages:
  • 1