Court: Ex-SABC editor can return to work

2013-09-16 13:42
(Picture: Supplied)

(Picture: Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The Labour Court has instructed the SABC to allow former editor Montlenyane Diphoko to return to work, his attorney said on Monday.

"The court has upheld the findings of the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation, and Arbitration (CCMA) last year, and instructed the SABC to allow my client to return to work within two weeks," said Chris Machingura.

The court ruled a week ago that Diphoko be allowed back to work and that he be paid his salary back-dated to 1 April 2010.

Diphoko declined to comment.

Budget overspend

He was editor of news international when he was found guilty of negligence and dishonesty relating to fruitless and wasteful expenditure in 2009. The charges related to the payment of independent contractors.

Diphoko was accused of mismanagement and of overspending his budget by R20m, resulting in financial loss for the public broadcaster.

He was dismissed in 2010.

He took the SABC to the CCMA, which ruled in his favour last year.

The commission found that his dismissal was "substantially and procedurally unfair" and ordered that he be allowed to return to work.

The public broadcaster sought a review of the CCMA decision and approached the Labour Court, which upheld the CCMA decision.

Diphoko argued that he was not the financial officer, and was not the only person involved in authorising payments. He argued that the charges were part of a plot to oust him.

‘A gruelling three years’

"He was never dishonest. He consulted widely and had a financial person advising him.... The payment forms did not have Diphoko's signature only. It needed another person's authorisation as well. He did not override the financial officer, who was never charged," Machingura said.

He was still waiting to hear from the SABC when Diphoko would be allowed to return to work.

"It has been a gruelling three years for him. We do not know the view of the SABC regarding this recent ruling.... We are still waiting to hear from them," Machingura said.

SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said talks with Diphoko were continuing.

"Please note that the SABC is still engaging with Mr Diphoko and his lawyers about this matter," he said.
Read more on:    sabc

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.