Court dismisses Saratoga application
Johannesburg - The Constitutional Court on Friday dismissed an application to force the City of Johannesburg to say what it is doing about relocating a group of people from a private property.
"The application is dismissed. There is no order as to costs and reasons will be furnished later," said Judge Zac Yacoob.
Lawyers for the Centre for Applied Legal Studies (Cals), who represent at least 127 people who could be evicted in a fortnight, were too stunned to comment and said they would issue a statement later. The lawyer for the city would not comment.
On December 1 2011, the court ordered that the residents - over 80 people - vacate their homes on industrial land owned by a company called Blue Moonlight on Saratoga Avenue by April 15 this year.
The court ruled that the city's housing policy was unconstitutional because it had not budgeted for, nor made allowance for, emergency accommodation.
The City has until Sunday to say where it is planning to move the people to, and how many will be moved. Then, it has until April 15 to carry out the relocation.
Cals filed an urgent application earlier in March saying it could not get information from the city on what its plans were. It asked for a two month extension to the order that the city provide details of where the people will be moved to, and that they be moved by June 1.
They also wanted details on whether families would be able to stay together.
The order means the residents have to wait until Sunday to find out what is going to happen to them, and then have to be off the property by April 15.