Court hears bid to halt school closure

2012-12-18 18:11
(Picture: <a href="http://www.shutterstock.com">Shutterstock</a>)

(Picture: Shutterstock) (Shutterstock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - A full bench of the Western Cape High Court on Wednesday began hearing argument in a court bid to halt the closure of 18 schools on the Cape Flats and further afield.

The schools, their governing bodies and the South African Democratic Teachers' Union (Sadtu) are seeking an interdict against provincial Education MEC Donald Grant and Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga to prevent the schools being shut down on 31 December.

The hearing opened with Judge Dennis Davis demanding a response from the applicants' lawyer, Norman Arendse, to arguments from the department's counsel that he did not have formal instructions from all the school governing bodies to oppose the planned closure.

Grant's lawyer said no affidavit had been received from Tonka Bosman School near Somerset West.

Arendse said the governing bodies of all schools were in accord that he should bring the application, but conceded that there were not written minutes from all governing bodies confirming this.

Judge Siraj Desai questioned whether it was appropriate on the part of the defence to "resort to that kind of technicality in a case of this magnitude".

He said he would not refuse to hear the case on those grounds and if necessary, the case would be briefly postponed to allow Arendse to get the necessary written authorisation.

The steps to the court and the public gallery were packed with parents whose children attend the schools, with one woman holding a placard reading "No to forced removals".

The court is expected to deliver its ruling on Wednesday.

The application seeks to prevent Grant or the department from closing or merging the schools and moving pupils, teachers, and resources.

It also asks for subsidies and salaries to be paid in the interim and that the department be forbidden from interfering in school operations.

Grant announced in October that, after careful consideration, the schools would be closed because of low enrolment numbers, multi-grade classes or a decline in pupil numbers.

Beauvallon Secondary School principal Henry Hockey, in an affidavit on behalf of all applicants, said the closures were unlawful and unconstitutional.

Read more on:    sadtu  |  norman arendse  |  siraj desai  |  donald grant  |  angie motshekga  |  cape town  |  education
NEXT ON NEWS24X

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

You may feel the urge to merge, but it may be better to escape into a tranquil and quiet setting and connect with your personal...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.