Court protects Chanelle Henning's child
Pretoria - The North Gauteng High Court has prohibited the further publication of photos or film footage of a Pretoria child whose mother, Chanelle Henning, was shot dead last year.
It granted an order to this effect after an application by Corné Lindeque, a court-appointed lawyer for the child.
Judge Andre Louw also prohibited publication - in print or by television footage - of any information relating to the investigation of issues relating to the care, contact and residency of the child.
He ordered the order be served on all major newspaper publishers and gave any party affected by the order until March 6 to give reasons why a final order should not be granted.
Henning was shot by two men on a motorbike on November 8 after she dropped off her child at a crèche in Faerie Glen, east of Pretoria.
Lindeque brought the application to avoid further exposure of the child in the media, following the bail application this week of Andre Gouws, one of five men arrested in connection with the murder of the child's mother.
Lindeque's application was supported by the child’s father and maternal grandparents.
Lindeque said in an affidavit that a media storm had raged around the child and family following the mother's death.
Photos depicting the child with the mother were accessed by the media immediately after the killing, printed and shown on television on numerous occasions, she said.
"Not only was a very young child exposed to public scrutiny... but insensitive and incorrect reporting of the details of the parent’s acrimonious divorce action only contributed to the sensation of the event."
Lindeque said the child was in therapy to deal with the trauma of the mother's death.
The child "needs protection from any psychological harm".