Crowds return for Kotzé co-accused
Modimolle - People began filing into the Modimolle Magistrate's Court on Monday ahead of a bail application by three men charged with Johan Kotzé in connection with an attack on his wife.
Mmapuru Peter Mohlako, Andries Paparona Sithole, and Sello Frans Mphaka, told the court on Friday they believed exceptional circumstances existed for them to be granted bail.
They told the court they believed they would be acquitted if the charges against them were not withdrawn.
The three are charged with, among others, rape, murder, conspiracy to rape, kidnapping, and assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
They allegedly gang-raped Kotzé’s wife and mutilated her with objects including nails, a screwdriver, and an angle-grinder, on January 3.
They had been hired to work in the garden of Kotzé’s rented home in Modimolle. He allegedly forced them to attack his wife.
Kotzé also allegedly lured his stepson to the house and killed him.
In the bail application, the three men told the court they committed the crimes because Kotzé had threatened them with a gun.
Their bail application was postponed on Friday because of bad weather and a power failure.