Cyberheist suspects mum on accomplices
Johannesburg - The suspects arrested for allegedly being part of a syndicate involved in the theft of R42m from Postbank are staying tight-lipped about their accomplices, a SA Post Office spokesperson said on Monday.
The three, two who are Post Office employees, were arrested after an"internal investigation", Sapo spokesperson Lungile Lose said.
Lose said the three did not reveal who the other members of the syndicate were.
He said a task team, forensic experts as well as Sapo staff were responsible for catching the three.
"Appreciation should be given to employees who are committed to uprooting corruption in the South African Post Office," Lose said.
The syndicate, believed to have knowledge of the post office's information technology system, apparently stole the money between January 1 and 3.
According to a report, the syndicate opened several Postbank accounts across the country late last year.
During the New Year holiday period, the thieves gained access to a Rustenburg post office employee's computer and made deposits from other accounts into their own.
Over the next three days, automated teller machines in Gauteng, Free State and KwaZulu-Natal were used to withdraw cash from the accounts.
Postbank currently holds over R4bn in deposits, and processes millions of rands in social grants throughout the year.
The theft comes three years after the bank spent over R15m to upgrade its fraud-detection service.